Showing 331 resultsAuthority record
- c. 1544-1608
John Still was born 1543 at Grantham, Lincolnshire. After finishing his schooling at The King's School, Grantham he became a student at Christ's College, Cambridge, where he graduated with a BA in 1562, MA in 1565, and DD degree in 1575. In 1561 he became a fellow of his college and took holy orders.
He was appointed in 1570 Lady Margaret's Professor of Divinity, subsequently held livings in Suffolk (where he was Archdeacon of Sudbury from 1576 to 1593) and Yorkshire, and was master successively of St John's College (1574) and of Trinity College (1577). Still was vice-chancellor of the university in 1575/6 and again in 1592/3, and was raised to the bishopric of Bath and Wells in 1593. In 1604 he purchased the manor of Hutton, Somerset, east of Wells and to the west of the Mendip Hills, with its residence of Hutton Court. He died on 26 February 1608, leaving a large fortune from lead mines discovered in the Mendips. There is a fine monument to Still in the north transept of Wells Cathedral, erected by his son Nathaniel.
Hugh M. Stewart matriculated in 1947. He was the cox of the Lady Margaret crew at Henley Regatta when they beat the Thames Rowing Club in the Thames Club Cup and set a course record. The same year Lady Margaret broke the course record for all events at Henley during a Ladies' plate race. Races features include Fairburn Cup, Henley Royal Regatta and Marlow Regatta, as well as some mixed crew races.
- Corporate body
A family photographic firm based in Cambridge. Thomas and Eliza Louise Stearn advertised their photography studio located in 72 Bridge St., Cambridge in 1867. They had 10 children, one of their sons, Frank became a photographic assistant in his parents' studio. For more information see http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoSte.asp.
Lord Stanley was an English nobleman and the third husband of Lady Margaret Beaufort. He married Lady Margaret in 1472, following the death of his first wife, Eleanor Neville, daughter of Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury.
A powerful magnate and politician, Stanley inherited a number of significant estates and offices, including the suzerain title King of Mann, by which he assumed certain authoritative powers and control over the Isle of Man. He was made 1st Earl of Derby by his stepson, Henry VII of England, in 1485, and also served as Lord High Constable of England (1483-1504) and High Steward of the Duchy of Lancaster.
Over the course of his life, Stanley advanced his influence both within the English royal court and in the north-west of England, where he held vast estates in Cheshire and Lancashire. He died at Lathom in Lancashire in 1504.
Likely to be Henry Stanhope, son of Sir John Stanhope (1412-1493) and Elizabeth Talbot. Henry Stanhope married Joan Rochford of Stoke Rochford around 1476. Their son, Edmund Stanhope, was buried in the chapel at Houghton.
Likely to be Edward Stanhope, born at Rampton in or around the early 1470s, son of Sir Thomas Stanhope, and a member of the prominent Nottinghamshire Stanhope family. Edward fought both at the Battle of Stoke in 1487 and at the Battle of Blackheath in 1497, whereupon he was knighted for his valour. He served as Sheriff of Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire; Steward of Wakefield; and Constable of Sandale Castle, West Yorkshire. He was married first to Avelina Clifton, daughter of Sir Gervas Clifton, and second, to Elizabeth Bourchier, daughter of Foulk Bourchier, Lord Fitz-Waren.
Daughter of John Flygh, yeoman of the wardrobe to Henry VII. Alice was married to Edmund Stanhope, son of Henry Stanhope.