- Corporate body
- 1980 to at least 2000
Showing 330 resultsAuthority record
Henry Alvey gained his BA at St John's in 1575/6, graduated MA in 1579 and BD in 1586. He was a Fellow from 1577, and became President of the College in 1590. In 1601 he relocated to Ireland, where he became Provost of Trinity College, Dublin. He returned to Cambridge in 1609.
- Corporate body
- 11 April 1644 - May 1653
Arrowsmith came up to St John's College in 1616 and graduated BA in 1620. He proceeded MA in 1623, and in the same year became a fellow of St Catharine's College. In 1631 he married and resigned his fellowship.Following his marriage he went to King's Lynn as curate and then vicar of St Nicholas's Church.
During the Civil War, Arrowsmith was a leading presbyterian in both Cambridge and London. In 1644 Arrowsmith was admitted by the earl of Manchester as Master, replacing the ejected royalist William Beale.
Ashton was a member of Lady Margaret Beaufort’s household and served as her receiver-general from around 1502, before rising to the position of comptroller from late 1508. He began an MA at Oxford in 1507, but was quickly granted permission to transfer to Cambridge in order to study canon law. Among his various subsequent appointments, Ashton served as canon and prebendary of St. Stephen’s, Westminster from 1509; Archdeacon of Winchester, 1511-1519; Archdeacon of Cornwall from 1515; Rector of Grasmere to 1511; and Archdeacon of York from 1516.
Ashton was an early fellow of and benefactor to St. John’s College. His tomb and effigy were transferred from their chantry in the old College chapel to the new chapel in 1868 and are still visible in the north transept today.