Showing 331 results

Authority record

Hussey, Sir John

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN125
  • Person
  • 1465/1466-1536/1537

John Hussey was born in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, and was the son of Sir William Hussey (1443-1495), Chief Justice of the King’s Bench. He was first knighted in 1497 at the Battle of Blackheath and was subsequently promoted to Knight Banneret by Henry VIII at Tournai on 16 August 1513, following a string of other appointments, including Sheriff of Lincolnshire (1493); Comptroller of the Household (1509); and custos rotulorum (1513).

Hussey served as Chief Butler of England from 1521 until his death in 1536/7. He was also Chamberlain to King Henry VIII’s daughter, Mary I of England, and a member of the House of Lords. He was elected as a knight of the shire for Lincolnshire and as Member of Parliament on 6 July 1523. In 1529, he was created Lord Hussey of Sleaford by King Henry VIII.

Hussey was implicated in the 1536 Pilgrimage of Grace and accused of conspiracy against the king. Tried on the charge of treason, he was found guilty by the House of Lords and executed at Lincoln in 1536.

Southwell, Sir Robert

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN126
  • Person
  • d.1514

Sir Robert Southwell was a lawyer and a royal administrator during the late fifteenth and early sixteenth century. A descendant of a wealthy Norfolk family, Southwell was a member of Lincoln’s Inn and rose to prominence during the 1490s, when he worked in the crown lands administration on various appointments, receiverships and special commissions. By 1503, he occupied the role of general surveyor of all the royal lands. From 1504, he served as chief butler of England and in 1510, he was appointed chief auditor of the exchequer. He died in 1514.

Percy, Alan

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN127
  • Person
  • 1480-1560

Alan Percy was the second Master of the College. He was Prebendary of Dunnington in York Cathedral to which he was admitted 1 May 1513. He was admitted Master of St John's 29 July 1516, at the formal opening of the College, though he seems to have been perfoming the duties for about a month before that date. He vacated his Prebend at York in 1517 and Robert Shorton, his predecessor as Master of St John's, succeeded him there, 1 November 1517.
Percy had been appointed Rector of St Anne with St Agnes in the City of London by the Abbot and Convent of Westminster, and was instituted 6 May 1515. He resigned both his Rectory and his Mastership in 1518. The pension assigned to him by the College (£10/year) was a liberal one at the time, for the stipend of the Master was only £12. However, Percy did not claim the pension long as King Henry VIII in 1520 gave him an estate in Middlesex, whereupon, he surrendered his claim upon College revenues.

Day, George

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN128
  • Person
  • 1502-1556

George Day was the third son of Richard Day of Newport, Shropshire and Agnes Osborne. In 1521, he graduated BA from St John's and in 1522 he was elected to the Fellowship. He became first Linacre professor of medicine in 1525, and then college praelector in Greek. In 1528 he became public orator of the university.
He was ordained deacon at Lincoln on 7 March 1528 and became John Fisher's chaplain. As orator he wrote the university's decree in support of the royal supremacy and despite his connections with Fisher as appointed royal chaplain. He was appointed master of the College 27 July 1537 (with some royal support) and 5 June 1538 he was made provost of King's College, Cambridge.
On 15 April 1543 he was nominated as bishop of Chichester, Day resigned all his benefices, but kept the provostship of King's by royal dispensation.
Day survived Henry VIII's reign, with a spell in prison during Edward VI's and was released from prison with Mary's accession on 4 August 1553. He was popular with the Queen and preached at the funeral of Edward VI. He became Mary's almoner and preached at her coronoation.
He died in London 2 August 1556 and was buried in Chichester Cathedral.

Taylor, John

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN129
  • Person
  • 1503-1554

Taylor served as bursar then proctor of Queens' College, Cambridge from 1523 to 1537, and master of St John's College, Cambridge from 1538 to 1546. He was rector of St Peter upon Cornhill, London, of Tatenhill, Staffordshire, Dean of Lincoln Cathedral, a Reformer and Commissioner for the first Prayer Book.
His government of SJC was not felicitous and he was involved in continual disputes with the fellows. These occasioned a visitation by the bishop of Ely in May 1543, and subsequently the formation of a new code of statutes for the government of the College. In 1546, Taylor resigned his mastership of the College.
He died at the home of his friend in Buckinghamshire in 1554.

Parkinson, Stephen

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN13
  • Person
  • 1823-1889

The Reverend Stephen Parkinson was born in 1823 near Keighley in Yorkshire. He was admitted Sizar to St John’s in 1841, gaining his BA as Senior Wrangler and 2nd Smith’s Prize in 1845. He graduated Bachelor of Divinity in 1855 and Doctor of Divinity in 1869.
The rest of his life was spent in connection with the College, and he was elected to a Fellowship the same year that he completed his BA. From 1864 to 1882 he served as a College Tutor, and as President between 1865 and 1871. In 1881 the Mastership of the College was vacant, however Parkinson declined to enter as a candidate.
Parkinson published two textbooks, An Elementary Treatise on Mechanics, and A Treatise on Optics, both of which ran to numerous editions and were the standard works in use at the University. He was a well-liked and generous Tutor, with his Eagle Obituary detailing a student who would have been unable to complete his degree without Dr Parkinson’s financial support. A window in the College Chapel was also gifted by Parkinson, as well as a donation to the College Mission.
In 1870 he became a Fellow of the Royal Society , and a year later married Elizabeth Lucy, who was to outlive him following his death in 1889.

Obituary in the Eagle: Vol. 15, 1889, p. 356.

Accessible online at:

https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Eagle/Eagle%20Volumes/1880s/1889/Eagle_1889_Lent.pdf

Bailey, Stanley J.

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN130
  • Person
  • 1901-1980

Bailey was born in Stapleford in 1901, the son of farmer John Bailey. He was educated at Coldicott School, Hitchin, Manor House School, Clapham, Grammar School Reigate, and Queen’s College, Taunton. He came to St John's College in 1919 to study Natural Sciences. In 1921 Bailey switched to study Law, and graduated LLB in 1923 with a 2.1. In 1922 he was called to the Bar and joined the staff of Messrs Gibson & Weldon. In 1926 Bailey moved to Aberystwyth to lecture at the University College of Wales, and from there moved to Birmingham University as Reader in English Law. He returned to Cambridge in 1931 to become a Fellow and College Lecturer at St John's. A University Lectureship followed in 1934, and then a Readership in Law in 1946. When H.A. Holland retired from the Rouse Ball Chair of English Law in 1950, Bailey was elected to succeed him, holding the post until 1968.

Bailey served his College as Director of Studies (1934-50) and Tutor (1939-46), and served the University as Senior Proctor (1936-7). Bailey wrote on legal history, editing the Cambridge Legal History Series, and on property law. His best known work, however, is his 'Law of Wills', first published in 1935. Bailey was a popular lecturer.

He was twice married and had one son, and died in 1980.

Obituary in The Eagle: Vol 69, Easter Term 1981, p. 29
Accessible online at: https://documents.joh.cam.ac.uk/public/Eagle/Eagle%20Volumes/1980s/Eagle_1981.pdf

Thirlby, Thomas

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN131
  • Person
  • 1500-1570

Thomas Thirlby (or Thirleby; c. 1506–1570), was the first and only bishop of Westminster (1540–50), and afterwards successively bishop of Norwich (1550–54) and bishop of Ely (1554–59). While he acquiesced in the Henrician schism, with its rejection in principle of the Roman papacy, he remained otherwise loyal to the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church during the English Reformation.
For more information see: https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-commemorations/commemorations/thomas-thirlby

North, Ken

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN132
  • Person
  • 1923-1988

Ken North first came to College in 1923 as a chorister. He remained a member of the Choir until 1926. He worked at Eaden Lilley's grocery department until he was appointed Kitchen Clerk in October 1935.

Bill, William

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN136
  • Person
  • c. 1505- 15 July 1561

William Bill was Master of St John's (1546/7 to 1551), Vice-Chancellor of the University (1548) and twice Master of Trinity College (1551-1553, 1558-1561), Provost of Eton College (1558-1561) and Dean of Westminster (1560-1561).
Bill was born in Ashwell, Hertfordshire and had two brothers and two sisters. His brother, Thomas became physician to Henry VIII. William was educated at St John's and was elected a Fellow in 1534. He received his B.D. 1544-1546.

Results 61 to 70 of 331