Showing 331 results

Authority record

The Hospital of St John the Evangelist, Cambridge

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI227
  • Corporate body
  • c 1175-1511

Originated as a small building erected towards the end of the 12th century by Hugh Eldcorn, with the agreement of the town of Cambridge and on land probably donated by Henry Frost, burgess of Cambridge, as a shelter for the poor. It was granted an oratory and burial ground, as well as income from the church of Horningsea, by the Bishop of Ely, and the bishops of Ely were recognised as its patron. The right to appoint the Master of the Hospital was contentious. Various grants of rights and privileges, as well as small grants of land, in the first decade of the 13th century, indicate that it was formally established then. In 1228, Pope Gregory IX took it into papal protection. In 1250, Pope Innocent IV confirmed the rule drawn up for the brethren by the Bishop of Ely. In c 1266 it was damaged by fire and by rioters rebelling against the King. In 1280 the Bishop of Ely obtained letters patent establishing scholars in the Hospital alongside the brethren, with the scholars living according to the statutes of Merton College, Oxford. The arrangement was unsuccessful and the two communities separated in 1284, with the scholars leaving and being given a share of the Hospital's endowments. These included St Peter's Church (a significant loss for the brethren) and hostels which formed the basis of Peterhouse College, founded in 1284. The Hospital continued to be supported by the townspeople and to acquire small amounts of land and property throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, ownership of which was transferred to St John's College when the Hospital was dissolved in 1511.

Stearn & Sons

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI65
  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1966

A family photographic firm based in Cambridge. Thomas and Eliza Louise Stearn advertised their photography studio located in 72 Bridge St., Cambridge in 1867. They had 10 children, one of their sons, Frank became a photographic assistant in his parents' studio. For more information see http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoSte.asp.

Atlay, James

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN1
  • Person
  • 1817-1894

Son of Reverend Henry Atlay, James Atlay was educated at Grantham and Oakham schools and matriculated as an undergraduate at St John’s College, Cambridge, on 30th June 1836. He gained a BA in 1840 (9th Classic), and was elected to the Fellowship in 1842. He was ordained deacon the same year, priest the following year, and Bachelor of Divinity and Doctor of Divinity in 1850 and 1859 respectively. From 1843 to 1846 he held the curacy of Warsop in Nottinghamshire, and from 1847-1852 the vicarage of Madingley in Cambridgeshire. He was Whitehall Preacher 1856-58, Lady Margaret Preacher 1859 and 1887, and Select Preacher before the University of Cambridge in 1858, 1862, 1870, 1873, and 1890.

From 1846 to 1859 he was a tutor at St John’s College after which he was elected as successor to Walter Farquhar Hook as vicar in Leeds. He was well respected in the city, and was appointed canon residentiary at Ripon in 1861. Having refused the bishopric of Calcutta in 1867, the following year he succeeded Renn Dickson Hampden as Bishop of Hereford where he remained until his death on 24th December 1894. He is buried in ‘the layde arbour’ in Hereford Cathedral, where his tomb is adorned with a marble effigy.

Atlay married Frances Turner in 1859, resulting in several children.

Obituary in The Eagle: Vol 18, Lent Term 1895, p. 495
Accessible online at: https://documents.joh.cam.ac.uk/public/Eagle/Eagle%20Volumes/1890s/1895/Eagle_1895_Lent.pdf

Gregory, Reginald Phillip

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN10
  • Person
  • 1879-1918

Born on 7th June 1879 in Wiltshire, the son of Arthur Gregory and Eliza Standerwick Barnes, and schooled at Weston-Super-Mare, Reginald Gregory matriculated at St John’s in 1898. In 1901 he graduated BA in the Natural Sciences Tripos, with a focus on Botany in Part II. Elected to the Fellowship in 1904, and University Lecturer in botany in 1907, he became a Tutor in 1912 and was popular with students and colleagues.
While his mother was known for her work on the genus Viola, Reginald Gregory focussed on the genetics and cytology of plants, having many papers published on the subject in scientific journals.
At outbreak of the First World War Gregory joined the Cambridge University Officers’ Training Corp, teaching cadets at the Cambridge School, and later served in as 2nd Lieutenant in the Gloucester Regiment. In August 1917 he was discharged from the Army after being badly gassed, and in November 1918 died from pneumonia brought on by influenza. He left his wife, Joan Laidlay and three daughters.

Obituary in The Eagle: Vol 40, Lent 1919, p117
Accessible online at: https://www.joh.cam.ac.uk/sites/default/files/Eagle/Eagle%20Volumes/1910s/1919/Eagle_1919_Lent.pdf

Wentworth, Richard

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN100
  • Person
  • c.1480-1528

Sir Richard Wentworth, 5th Lord le Despenser, was born circa 1480 at Nettlestead, Kent. He was the son of Sir Henry Wentworth by his first wife, Anne (Saye) Wentworth, and married Anne Tyrrell around 1499. He served as Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk. On his death in October 1528, Sir Richard was buried at Ipswich in Suffolk.

Stafford, Henry

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN101
  • Person
  • c.1425-1471

Henry Stafford was the second son of Humphrey Stafford, 1st Duke of Buckingham, and the third husband of Lady Margaret Beaufort, his second cousin. They were wedded in January 1458 and enjoyed a long and ostensibly amicable marriage until Stafford’s death in 1471. Like Lady Margaret, Stafford backed the House of Lancaster during the early years of the Wars of the Roses and fought alongside the Lancastrians at the battle of Towton in March 1461. However, following his pardon by Edward IV of England in June 1461, Stafford retained a cautious allegiance to the Yorkist King in subsequent challenges to his sovereignty. Stafford supported Edward at the Battle of Losecoat Field in 1470 and again at Barnet in 1471, where he was wounded during the conflict and later died from his injuries.

Stafford, Henry, 2nd Duke of Buckingham

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN102
  • Person
  • 1454-1483

Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, was the nephew of Henry Stafford and Lady Margaret Beaufort, the eldest son of Henry Stafford’s brother, Humphrey Stafford. Following the death of his father in 1458, he became a ward of King Edward IV of England and was appointed Duke of Buckingham in 1460, after the death of his grandfather, the 1st Duke of Buckingham. In 1466, Stafford was married to Catherine Woodville (c.1458-1497), the sister of Edward IV’s queen, Elizabeth Woodville. Together, they had four children.

In the months following Edward IV’s death in 1483, Stafford initially appeared to back the succession of Richard, Duke of Gloucester, to the throne as Richard III of England. But quickly disillusioned with Richard, Stafford switched allegiance to his cousin, Henry Tudor, and mounted a rebellion against Richard in Tudor’s name. The rebellion was unsuccessful and Stafford was executed for treason at Salisbury in November 1483.

Stafford, Edward, 3rd Duke of Buckingham

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN103
  • Person
  • 1478-1521

Edward Stafford was the eldest son of Lady Margaret Beaufort’s nephew, Henry Stafford, 2nd Duke of Buckingham, and Catherine Woodville. Lady Margaret assumed the wardship of Edward, together with responsibility for his estates, in August 1486, a year after the accession of King Henry VII of England to the crown. Edward’s father, the 2nd Duke of Buckingham, had been executed several years earlier in 1483 by King Richard III of England on the charge of treason, and his attainder was only formally reversed following Richard’s death in 1485.

It is likely that the young Edward, now the 3rd Duke of Buckingham, was educated in Lady Margaret’s households. In December 1490, he married Eleanor Percy (c.1474-1530), daughter of Henry Percy, 4th Earl of Northumberland. Buckingham became a conspicuous figure within the royal circle and was frequently in attendance at court. He was made a Knight of the Order of the Garter in 1495 and became a member of King Henry VIII’s Privy Council in 1509. In 1521, he was arrested and charged with plotting to overthrow the king. Found guilty at trial, Buckingham was beheaded on 17 May 1521 and his honours and estates were subsequently forfeited.

Weyck, Meynnart

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN104
  • Person
  • fl.1502-1511

Meynnart Wewcyck was a Flemish painter. He was responsible for drawing the design for Lady Margaret's tomb, a copy of which was then given to the sculptor in charge of producing the gilt-bronze tomb effigy, Pietro Torrigiano.

Woodhull, Fulk

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN105
  • Person
  • c.1459-1508

Fulk Woodhull, of Warkworth, Northamptonshire, was the eldest son of John Wodhull and Joan (Jean) Etwell. He was married first to Anne Newnham, with whom he had three children, and second, to Elizabeth Webb. He served as Sheriff of Northamptonshire from around 1500 and died in 1508.

Results 31 to 40 of 331