GB 1859 SJCR/SJPH/2/1
- 1954-2001 (Creation)
Level of description
Extent and medium
27 items, paper
Name of creator
Immediate source of acquisition or transfer
SJPH/2/1/1 presented by Sir John Cockcroft, Fellow.
Content and structure area
Scope and content
Includes: photographs and negatives of Larmor Award silver. Also includes two photographs of the redecoration work of the Hall carried out by Campbell Smith & Co. in 1964 at the back of Larmor Album 2.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling
System of arrangement
The items are stored in 3 separate albums:
- Larmor Album 1
- Larmor Album 2
Conditions of access and use area
Conditions governing access
Conditions governing reproduction
© Edward Leigh
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script notes
Physical characteristics and technical requirements
A list of recipients of the Larmor Awards can be found in Finding Aids 5.
Allied materials area
Existence and location of originals
Existence and location of copies
Related units of description
Sir Joseph Larmor (Fellow)'s bequest (d.1942) allowed for an award of a piece of plate engraved with the year and 'Sir Joseph Larmor's plate', plus a financial reward. Until 1954 war-time conditions meant that no pieces of plate had been awarded, but pieces were commisioned, and some [made by Clements in 1952] bore retrospective award dates, 1944 and 1945.
Items in 11/Album include:
- (Sl 46, 48, 49-50, 55-56): Prints of silver designed by Robert Welch, including beakers, wine cup and dishes.
- (Sl 47): Print of tankard designed by Desmond C. Murphy.
- (Sl 51-53: Prints of pen tray, dish and sauce boat designed by E.G. Clements.
- (Sl 54): Print of dish designed by Keith Redfern.
- (Sl 57): Print of two cigarette cases.
- (Sl 63): Transparencies of cups.
- (Sl 64): Negatives of tea strainer, bowl and playing card case.
- (Sl 65-66): Prints of circular tin and cups.
- (Sl 66-67): Transparencies of cups, followed by prints of same/similar cups.