Showing 326 resultsAuthority record
- 1554 (?)-1612
Richard Clayton was admitted as a pensioner in 1572, but move to Oxford where he proceeded B.A. and was incorporated in that degree at Cambridge in 1576. In 1577, he was admitted to the fellowship of St John's on the Lady Margaret's foundation. He commenced M.A. at Cambridge in 1579, and was incorporated in that degree at Oxford in 1580. He received his B.D. at Cambridge in 1587 and was elected college preacher the same year. He received his D.D.in 1592.
He was made Master of Magdalene College, Cambridge in 1593 and was installed Archdeacon of Lincoln in 1595. He was admitted as Master of SJC on 22 December 1595 in a highly politicised election manipulated by Lord Burghley.
Clayton was responsible for the building of Second Court.
He died 2 May 1612 and is buried in the College Chapel.
- 27 May 1897 – 18 September 1967
Sir John Douglas Cockcroft, OM, KCB, CBE, FRS, was a British physicist noted especially for his joint work with Ernest Walton in splitting the nucleus of an atom - an achievement for which he won the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1951. After studying electrical engineering at the Manchester Municipal College of Technology, Cockcroft won a scholarship to St. John's College, where he graduated BA in 1924. He subsequently worked as a research student at the Cavendish Laboratory, under the supervision of Sir Ernest Rutherford. In 1929, Cockcroft was appointed as Supervisor in Mechanical Sciences at St John's College and as Supervisor in Physics in 1931. He became Junior Bursar of the College in 1933. After the end of the Second World War, in which he played a central role in air defence and nuclear weapons research, Cockcroft was made Director of the Atomic Energy Research Establishment (AERE). In 1959, he was appointed as the first Master of Churchill College, Cambridge.
English judge and Member of Parliament for Maldon. Graduated from Queens' College, Cambridge. Member of Lincoln's Inn (called to the bar, 1690). Elected serjeant-at-law (1705) and subsequently appointed a Baron of the Exchequer, a Justice of Common Pleas (1736) and Chief Baron of the Exchequer (1738).
Former Cambridge Blue, rowing coach and historian of the Lady Margaret Boat Club.