Showing 325 results

Authority record

Trahern, Richard

  • GB-1859-SJAC-PN50
  • Person

Master of the Free School at Hereford.

Torry, A F

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN316
  • Person

Torrigiano, Pietro

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN77
  • Person
  • 1472-1528

Pietro Torrigiano was a fifteenth-century Florentine sculptor who played an important role in introducing Renaissance art to England. In the account of his life given by Giorgio Vasari, Torrigiano was born in Florence in 1472 and studied art in Florence as a young man under the patronage of Lorenzo de’ Medici. He came to England c.1509 and in 1511, was commissioned to create the monument for the tomb of Lady Margaret Beaufort. He went on to receive appointments for a number of other royal works, including a commission to create a terracotta bust of King Henry VII and the monument and effigies of Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth of York. The monument and effigies may still be seen in the Henry VII Lady Chapel at Westminster Abbey and were completed c.1517. Torrigiano spent the later years of his life in Spain, especially at Seville. He died in 1528.

Thomson, Thomas

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN78
  • Person
  • c.1470-c.1540

Thomas Thomson was Master of Christ’s College, Cambridge, 1510-1517, and Vice-Chancellor, 1510-1512. Other notable appointments include Vicar of Gateley, Norfolk, 1520- 1530, and Vicar of Enfield, Middlesex, from 1505 to his death c.1540. An early benefactor to St. John’s College, Thomson helped to support the income of two fellowships and contributed, through a donation of rents in Cambridge, to the construction of a chantry on the south side of the College Chapel in 1524.

Thirlby, Thomas

  • GB-1859-SJCA-PN131
  • Person
  • 1500-1570

Thomas Thirlby (or Thirleby; c. 1506–1570), was the first and only bishop of Westminster (1540–50), and afterwards successively bishop of Norwich (1550–54) and bishop of Ely (1554–59). While he acquiesced in the Henrician schism, with its rejection in principle of the Roman papacy, he remained otherwise loyal to the doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church during the English Reformation.
For more information see: https://www.westminster-abbey.org/abbey-commemorations/commemorations/thomas-thirlby

The Hospital of St John the Evangelist, Cambridge

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI227
  • Corporate body
  • c 1175-1511

Originated as a small building erected towards the end of the 12th century by Hugh Eldcorn, with the agreement of the town of Cambridge and on land probably donated by Henry Frost, burgess of Cambridge, as a shelter for the poor. It was granted an oratory and burial ground, as well as income from the church of Horningsea, by the Bishop of Ely, and the bishops of Ely were recognised as its patron. The right to appoint the Master of the Hospital was contentious. Various grants of rights and privileges, as well as small grants of land, in the first decade of the 13th century, indicate that it was formally established then. In 1228, Pope Gregory IX took it into papal protection. In 1250, Pope Innocent IV confirmed the rule drawn up for the brethren by the Bishop of Ely. In c 1266 it was damaged by fire and by rioters rebelling against the King. In 1280 the Bishop of Ely obtained letters patent establishing scholars in the Hospital alongside the brethren, with the scholars living according to the statutes of Merton College, Oxford. The arrangement was unsuccessful and the two communities separated in 1284, with the scholars leaving and being given a share of the Hospital's endowments. These included St Peter's Church (a significant loss for the brethren) and hostels which formed the basis of Peterhouse College, founded in 1284. The Hospital continued to be supported by the townspeople and to acquire small amounts of land and property throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, ownership of which was transferred to St John's College when the Hospital was dissolved in 1511.

Results 31 to 40 of 325