Architect, English courtier, and Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster under Henry VII, from 1486-1503. Bray was born c. 1440 in the parish of St. John Bedwardine, near Worcester, and was educated at the Royal Grammar School Worcester. From 1467 onwards, he assumed an important role in Lady Margaret Beaufort’s household as receiver-general, primarily to Lady Margaret Beaufort and Sir Henry Stafford until 1471, and then subsequently to Lady Margaret and Thomas Stanley. He remained in the service of Lady Margaret until c.1499 and held principal responsibility for managing lands granted to her in 1487.
Other notable appointments include Knight of the Bath, and subsequently, Knight of the Garter; and Steward of the University of Oxford (1496).
In his work as an architect, Bray designed both St. George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle and Henry VII’s Chapel at Westminster. Together with John Alcock, he also played a key part in the construction of Jesus College, Cambridge, founded in 1496.
Bray married Katherine Hussey (d.1506) around 1475 and died without issue. He was buried at Windsor in St. George’s Chapel.