Showing 331 resultsAuthority record
LMBC coach during the 1970s and 1990s, and co-author of 'The Bumps: An Account of the Cambridge University Bumping Races, 1827-1999' (2000).
- Corporate body
W. Eaden Lilley & Co. was a portrait studio on Market St., Cambridge. In 1990, Lilley had a studio at Mercers Row Cambridge and Green St, Cambridge. The company is still in business, now part of Lafayette Photography (https://www.lafayettephotography.com/) specialists in academic photography.
Eaden Lilley was department store based in Cambridge, tracing its history back to a haberdasher's shop in 1760. The photographic department undertook portraiture and other commercial photography. (For more information see: http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoLe.asp and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eaden_Lilley)
Born at Rouen in Normandy, the second son of Richard, 3rd Duke of York, and Cecily Neville, Edward IV was the first Yorkist king of England and a key protagonist in the English Wars of the Roses. He became king in March 1461, after the defeat of the Lancastrian army at the Battle of Towton, and reigned until 1470, when he was overthrown. In 1471, Edward regained control of the crown and reigned again until his death in 1483. He was wedded to Elizabeth Woodville and the couple had ten children, including Elizabeth of York, the wife and Queen of Henry VII of England.
- Corporate body
Edward Leigh was born in 1913 and died in 1998. Edward Leigh was one of the few professional photographers to obtain a prestigious Fellowship of the Royal Photographic Society as well as a Fellowship of the professional photographer's own body, then entitled the Institute of British Photographers.His photographic career spanned over 50 years. Before the Second World War he worked as a fashion photographer and a stills cameraman for Fox Film Studios, later 20th Century Fox. During the war his printing skills were employed by RAF Oakington to process aerial recognizance photographs which were assembled into the mosaic maps used by Bomber Command.
Following the war Leigh open his own studio on Kings Parade in Cambridge. He did a great deal of work for the Colleges and the University. Leigh was also recognised as a skilled architectural and industrial photographer. In the 1960s, Leigh also worked as a 'stringer' for the Times Newspaper providing photographs for local news stories.
When he retired in 1983, his son John Edward Leigh continued the business until 1985 when the studio closed.
For more information see: http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoLe.asp
Reverend Canon Thomas Field B.D. was born on 3rd March 1822, the son of Reverend John Field (St John’s, 1807) and Louisa Bousquet. He was educated briefly at a small school in Northampton, followed by Oakham School until he entered St John’s College in 1840. He graduated BA in 1844, before being admitted to the Fellowship in 1947. During his time as a fellow, he also acted as Assistant Tutor. In 1950 he was ordained, and subsequently became Vicar of Madingley in 1958, a post which he held for four years. After that he became Vicar of Pampisford until 1968, before being invited to take up the Rectory of Bigby, near Brigg in Lincolnshire, which he held until his death.
A well liked character, Field was known for his generosity and kindness. He was married twice and had ten sons, three of whom were also members of St John’s, and one a member of Emmanuel College.
Obituary in The Eagle: Vol 19, Michaelmas 1896, p. 369
Accessible online at: https://documents.joh.cam.ac.uk/public/Eagle/Eagle%20Volumes/1890s/1897/Eagle_1896_Michaelmas.pdf