Showing 25 results

Authority record
Corporate body

The Hospital of St John the Evangelist, Cambridge

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI227
  • Corporate body
  • c 1175-1511

Originated as a small building erected towards the end of the 12th century by Hugh Eldcorn, with the agreement of the town of Cambridge and on land probably donated by Henry Frost, burgess of Cambridge, as a shelter for the poor. It was granted an oratory and burial ground, as well as income from the church of Horningsea, by the Bishop of Ely, and the bishops of Ely were recognised as its patron. The right to appoint the Master of the Hospital was contentious. Various grants of rights and privileges, as well as small grants of land, in the first decade of the 13th century, indicate that it was formally established then. In 1228, Pope Gregory IX took it into papal protection. In 1250, Pope Innocent IV confirmed the rule drawn up for the brethren by the Bishop of Ely. In c 1266 it was damaged by fire and by rioters rebelling against the King. In 1280 the Bishop of Ely obtained letters patent establishing scholars in the Hospital alongside the brethren, with the scholars living according to the statutes of Merton College, Oxford. The arrangement was unsuccessful and the two communities separated in 1284, with the scholars leaving and being given a share of the Hospital's endowments. These included St Peter's Church (a significant loss for the brethren) and hostels which formed the basis of Peterhouse College, founded in 1284. The Hospital continued to be supported by the townspeople and to acquire small amounts of land and property throughout the 14th and 15th centuries, ownership of which was transferred to St John's College when the Hospital was dissolved in 1511.

Stearn & Sons

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI65
  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1966

A family photographic firm based in Cambridge. Thomas and Eliza Louise Stearn advertised their photography studio located in 72 Bridge St., Cambridge in 1867. They had 10 children, one of their sons, Frank became a photographic assistant in his parents' studio. For more information see http://www.fadingimages.uk/photoSte.asp.

Rickman and Hutchinson

  • GB-1859-SJCA-CI119
  • Corporate body
  • 1821-1831

Rickman and Hutchinson was an architects practice based in Birmingham. Thomas Rickman (1776-1841), a self-taught architect, established a practice in Liverpool in 1817. The following year, Rickman took on the eighteen year-old Henry Hutchinson (1800-1831) as a pupil. A second office in Birmingham was opened in 1820, to which Rickman and Hutchinson both transferred. In December 1821 they entered into a partnership. The firm became well-known, especially as church architects. In 1825 Rickman and Hutchinson were invited to submit designs for New Court at St John’s College, Cambridge. Their plans were selected and they supervised the construction between 1826 and 1831. The partnership came to an end in November 1831, when Henry Hutchinson died after a long period of illness. Rickman continued the practice, going into partnership with Richard Charles Hussey (1802-87) in 1835. Rickman retired in 1838, leaving the office to Hussey. He died on 4 January 1841.

Results 1 to 10 of 25